As if I didn’t have enough going on with a new book coming out in October, I am also launching a new project. Please help me spread the word.
In talking to readers about the characters in How To Climb The Eiffel Tower, quite a few people have told me that they had a friend like Lara or Jane that helped them get through their cancer experience. Their stories have inspired me to compile a collection of stories and memories about the people you meet in hospital waiting rooms. They are a disparate group of people thrust together because they have one thing in common – cancer. The juxtaposition of moments of high anxiety with hours of mind numbing boredom makes the waiting room the perfect place for spontaneous, candid conversations. I want to hear about those conversations.
Are you a cancer survivor? Did you strike up a friendship with someone you met in the hospital? Did your friends help you get through the experience? Tell me about it. Write a short post (somewhere between 50 and 2000 words) about how friendship influenced your cancer journey. Really, I want to hear about it.
Do you know a cancer survivor? Share this project with them. It will give them a chance to reflect on the more positive moments from their cancer treatment.
I have put together a dedicated page for the project on this blog – Waiting Room Friends Project where people can link blog posts to the project.
How do I participate?
- Post your story on your blog, then sign-up on the Inkylist on the project’s page so everyone can visit your blog to read it.
- Email me your story to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note if you give me your permission to share your story and I can use your real name. Anonymous reflections are welcome.
- Post your story to the Waiting Room Friends Project’s Facebook page.
- Join the Waiting Room Project’s Google+ community and post your story there.
- Tweet, post, talk, shout about the project wherever you hang out online.
- Talk to the cancer survivors in your life and encourage them to share their stories.
Depending on the volume of responses I receive to this project, I plan to compile the stories in an ebook. Any proceeds would be donated toward cancer research. Watch this space for updates as the project gets underway.
4 thoughts on “Calling All Cancer Survivors – I want to hear about your friends”
So thrilled you linked information about this very important project to the Hump Day Blog Hop. Thank you! Please keep me posted as the project unfolds. And great title/book/storyline for your novel coming out next month. Congratulations!
Don’t supposed you’ll be getting much sleep in the coming weeks…!
ENJOY IT! 🙂
Thanks, Julie. I am very excited to put the project together. I look forward to reading people’s stories.
Sounds like a great project, Elizabeth! I’ll be happy to share it around.